Saturday, January 27, 2018

The Witch Boy

The Witch BoyThe Witch Boy by Molly Ostertag
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

One of the graphic novels I read last semester for my children's materials class was a new release by Molly Knox Ostertag. I book-talked it in class, and though I was nervous (as a book talk newbie), most of my classmates seemed really interested in reading the book after hearing what I had to say about it. Fans of colorful and fantastical graphic novels will also want to add this one to their TBR piles.

Imagine knowing exactly what (or who) you want to be, but not being able to show it because of rules created long before you were born. Such is Aster's predicament - he wants to be a witch, but in his family, only women are witches. Men become shapeshifters. When his boy cousins start disappearing, leaving him behind, Aster's secret talents at witchcraft just might save them. Will he risk exposing his secrets? Besides all the real life parallels that can be drawn with this tale, it's wonderfully written and illustrated, and features a wide variety of characters - in personality, looks, sexual orientation, and magical abilities.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment