Saturday, December 12, 2015

The Stepford Wives

The Stepford WivesThe Stepford Wives by Ira Levin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sum it up in a sentence (or two): Both a suspenseful thriller and a commentary on gender roles, The Stepford Wives is a cautionary tale for those who dream of a perfect life.

First thoughts: The story of the Eberharts' move to Stepford creeped me out and surprised me with its relevancy. It's a quick read (I found it at home over Thanksgiving break and finished it in time to leave it there), but I still had questions at the end. The final chapters plus the epilogue rushed things and the "reveal" felt like a cop out - there was a steady build up the entire way through and not enough of a "woah" factor at the end.

Final thoughts: The slightly disappointing conclusion doesn't take away from the suspense that was somehow fast-paced and incremental at the same time. I felt myself putting the pieces together along with Joanna, our protagonist, and I was drawn into the world of clean lines and even-keeled emotions. I'll definitely be watching the movie remake.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment