Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Things My Patrons Say 1

It's been a minute since I've worked with the public...and I missed gems like these! Note, as a teen librarian, most of my patrons are tweens or teens (ages 11-18, plus a few young adults). Rereading and remembering these is therapeutic and helps remind me of all the positives of working with this age group, especially during rough weeks like this one, when Spring Break seems so far away/I'm exhausted from Daylight Savings/my patience is thin. I truly appreciate and enjoy my job and my patrons!

---

While playing card games with them after school: "Is it okay that you're hanging out with us? Shouldn't you be doing, like...work?" [NOTE: as a teen librarian, getting to know the teen patrons IS my work...it just so happens to also be fun.]

---

Patron: Can I have candy?
Me: Um, no.
Patron: What if I clean, then can I have candy?
Me: Well, I guess, but nothing is dirty now. Maybe tomorrow?
Patron: Okay, so what if I happened to spill my chips on the floor and I vacuum up the crumbs? Then can I have candy?

---

[Running into the library after school, after being asked to leave the day before]: I'm not gonna get kicked out today!!!

---

Patron: I never know what to say to adults, I'm afraid of adults.
Me: You're afraid of me? I'm not scary!
Patron: No, I'm not afraid of you. Like, *real* adults.

---

Patron: Okay, do you want to hear a song that's, like, perfect for when your parents are making you mad and no one just...understands you?
Me: Yep, sure, let's hear it.
Patron: [Plays "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne, which came out 17 YEARS AGO, in May of 2002, when I was in 8th grade & probably felt like no one understood me.]
Me: Girlfriend, I've KNOWN about this song, don't even worry.

---

(Same) Patron: I'm really into *old* songs, you know?
Me: Like...The Beatles?
Patron: Like Nelly and the Backstreet Boys.
Me: [searches retirement communities]

No comments:

Post a Comment