Saturday, September 30, 2017

Taco Queens and Epic Fails

Stef Soto, Taco QueenStef Soto, Taco Queen by Jennifer    Torres
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Stef Soto wants what most pre-teens want: for her parents to be normal, and for her classmates to accept her. (Tickets to the Vivianna Vega concert would be nice too.)

First thoughts: Stef is a super relatable character, especially for me. She knows that a family business is truly a family business, and when she does homework in her dad's taco truck (affectionately named "Tia Perla"), it reminded me of spending my after school hours at my mom's store. We usually got candy bars from the drugstore down the street instead of fresh tacos, but close enough. She's also an admirable character, but not without faults.

More similarities: When Stef equates art class with autonomy, I immediately thought of my childhood love of reading and writing. Torres truly seems to understand the pre-teen need for a unique identity, and it shows in her well-rounded characters and believable dialogue. Spanish conversations feel natural, not forced, and the dynamics of Stef's immigrant family are authentic as well.

Recommended for: I think most of us would enjoy an afternoon or two with Stef Soto. I'd recommend this to all of my previous students, kids who are still kids but have adult worries, and anyone with interests in municipal policy and how it affects families.

Final thoughts: All ends well in the world of Stef Soto, Taco Queen, but not without struggles, tough conversations, and real life fears. I appreciated the quick, yet thoughtful, pacing of the story - the conflict isn't wrapped up neatly in a few pages, but takes time to develop and resolve. There are important lessons to be learned here, about family, hard work, the "American Dream," and growing up.


The Epic Fail of Arturo ZamoraThe Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora by Pablo Cartaya
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Arturo Zamora is excited for his summer, even the dish-washing part, but a smooth talking land developer threatens his fun and his family's business. Can he save the day?

First thoughts: I read The Epic Fail right after Stef Soto, Taco Queen, and definitely felt the similarities (food & family as main themes, young Latino protagonists who must draw on their inner strengths to overcome a challenge and save something important to them...). One more similarity? I enjoyed it just as much.

Authenticity: My biggest gripe with children's fiction is its believably, and I'd say the plot, characters, and setting of TEFOAZ are all believable. Cartaya writes dialogue I could totally picture my students saying. Yes, the plot is spectacular, but again, Arturo struggles with the main conflict and works to solve it in ways that a pre-teen with his resources could do.

Recommended for: My middle schoolers, any school-aged kid living in Logan Square or one of the other many neighborhoods undergoing gentrification, people looking for an underdog to root for, fans of Stef (of Stef Soto, Taco Queen) or Junior (of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian).

Final thoughts: A fun and fast read. Plenty of heart, plenty of culture, a hero to cheer for, and a villain you can't wait to see fail.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment