Saturday, July 15, 2017

How to Find Fulfilling Work

How To Find Fulfilling WorkHow To Find Fulfilling Work by Roman Krznaric
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A quick, if simplified look into what makes work "fulfilling" - and if that is even a worthy ideal to want.

First thoughts: I was ready for this to be a fluff read, but the idea of the luxury of fulfillment is brought up on page one, which I appreciated. I'm lucky that my general career path has been meaningful, even if not always the most lucrative. I just want it to stay meaningful!

Career thoughts: What's most frustrating about reading this is knowing what the fulfilling work of your life has been/could be, but needing an employer to agree and hire you.

Favorite quotes:

On growing into your vocation: "Simply by devoting ourselves to work that gives us deep fulfillment through meaning, flow, and freedom....Over time, a tangible and inspiring goal may quietly germinate, grow larger, and eventually flower into life."

On fears and inhibitions: "Yet if we are to move beyond them, if we are to cut the rope and be free, we need to treat life as an experiment and discover the little bit of madness that lies within us all."

Recommended for: thinkers and dreamers, time-clock watchers, those in the midst of a mid-life crisis, and employers.

Final thoughts: This took me about a day to read. It has a few good thoughts, nothing Earth-shattering, but still affirming to read!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment