3 c shredded mozzarella (or another cheese of choice)
1 1/2 c grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (we used finely shredded Parmesan)
1 stick butter (original recipe calls for an additional half stick, but 1 was plenty for the size of our loaf)
1/2 c mayonnaise
2 tbsp minced garlic (we used jarred garlic)
1 tsp red pepper flakes (we used paprika)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 pound round loaf bread (Teigen uses French, we did sourdough)
- Preheat oven to 400 (if prepping ahead, skip to 2).
- Combine cheeses, butter, mayo, and seasonings in a large bowl.
- Slice bread (almost to, but not through the bottom) in a diamond pattern, making cuts 2 inches apart.
- Cover a baking sheet in foil and place bread at center. Using a spoon and/or rubber scraper and/or your fingers, stuff cheese mixture into all the cracks. It works best to start at one end and fold back the cuts to fill in an entire row with cheese. Cover the top of the loaf with any remaining mixture.
- With another sheet of foil, cover the loaf, curling the top and bottom sheets together to seal in the bread.
- When ready to serve: bake 20 minutes at 400, then remove top foil sheet and reduce temperature to 375 and bake another 15-20 minutes longer. Cheese should be melty and golden.
- Serve immediately, though it does reheat wonderfully the next morning for breakfast!