Saturday, February 23, 2019

Dear Martin

Dear MartinDear Martin by Nic Stone
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There are many parallels between Dear Martin and The New Jim Crow, and having just finished TNJC I appreciated how Dear Martin presented a narrative with both heart and reality for a young adult audience. The audio is done extremely well, transitioning between the action of the plot and Justyce's letters to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. as he processes his feelings about his senior year and upcoming move to an Ivy League college, racism in academia, and racism in policing, specifically in relation to the War on Drugs.

I listened to the entire book in an afternoon, but the emotional intensity had me thinking about the story long after - Nic Stone is officially on my authors to watch list.


Extras: THUG, Black Superheroes, or View All My Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment