Saturday, September 1, 2018

Wicker King

The Wicker KingThe Wicker King by K. Ancrum
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wasn't sure what to expect from this strange little book (from a (Chicago) local author!), but I'm glad I read it. Best friends August and Jack navigate both the real world and the world of Jack's hallucinatory visions while also coming to terms with what their relationship is and isn't. The writing is richly detailed, yet never too flowery, and I loved getting lost in the in-between world. I found the literal composition of the book to work in its favor as well, with the darkened pages and the way words were placed on the pages to show Jack's inner turmoil. All-in-all, it made for a total reading experience - I wanted complete silence and solitude while I read to fully enjoy the ambiance the book created.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment