Saturday, April 23, 2016

Blue Boy

Blue BoyBlue Boy by Rakesh Satyal
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sum it up in a sentence: The story of only child Kiran as he figures out who he is - son of immigrants, vibrant artist, smart child. Kiran doesn't fit in with the other Indian children, but neither does he fit in with the kids at his school - and maybe none of that matters if he is the god he believes he is.

First thoughts: This book has so much description - I could picture everything in each scene, down to the feelings in the air and on people's faces. It took me a bit to get used to the completeness and I had to reread the first few pages to absorb all of it.

Favorite character: Kiran is a character, for sure. How likable is he though? I wasn't sure how much to trust him. He's pretty judgmental and gets away with a lot that I never would have growing up.

Favorite quote: "The sky will soon lighten as it always does, and there is no more hopeful moment than that: when time is tomorrow but still carries a strain of today, when we're wiser and reborn all at once." -p244

Comparison thoughts: I can't help but find similarities to Jhumpa Lahiri (attention to detail and character development) and The Absolutely True Story of a Part-Time Indian (fun honesty and youthful perspective).

Final thoughts: Hmmm. Interesting. Playful, yet reverent. I learned about Hinduism through the lens of an Indian boy, and now I want to learn more from others.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment