Thursday, September 24, 2015

An Abundance of Victories

If the beginning of this week was about searching for little victories to keep my spirits up, the end is about storing up multiple victories to recount later when I need a boost.

Waking up at 6:30 this morning so that I could be at school for homeroom this morning (knowing that I would be staying until about 6 tonight) wasn't awesome, but coffee from my Campus Director helped my mood a lot.

Hearing my students cheer and pump their fists after they got their Thursday Apprenticeship assignments basically made my morning, but having several students remember how to pronounce my name and ask thoughtful questions during class sealed the deal.

In the afternoon, I taught several kids how percentages work and had them teach back to me. Then I supported my own Thursday Apprenticeship, the Teen Dream Zine. Our kids are writing articles and stories and drawing pictures for a self-published zine that they'll share with their families and friends (and their school library) at the end of the semester.

Maybe it's the subject matter, or because I had five volunteer teachers co-leading the class, or maybe it's this certain group of kids, but I can say that today is officially the day I enjoyed teaching, felt comfortable doing it, and understood why people make this their full-time career.

It's amazing what a difference a few days can make.

No comments:

Post a Comment