Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Drop Biscuits

Today I want to share my new favorite recipe (because I'm craving carbs big time). These biscuits are called drop biscuits because that's how you get them on the baking sheet - drop them by the spoonful. There's no rolling out or cutting dough into perfect circles because these are no fuss mounds of pure gluten-full joy. I also have no idea where I got this recipe, so while I can't claim it as my own, I also can't give credit to anyone...though I'm sure most chefs/bakers have their own similar versions of this guy. It's quick, only takes one bowl and one pan, and pairs well with a hearty dinner or a savory breakfast.

Drop Biscuits (makes 12 medium-large biscuits)

2 c flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sugar
5 tbsp cold butter
1 c cold milk (I used unsweetened plain almond milk & they still turned out great!)

Preheat oven to 400.
Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Cut butter into mixture.
Slowly stir in milk and mix gently until dough comes together.
Drop onto baking sheet by spoonfuls, leaving space to expand.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until turning golden.

Enjoy hot out of the oven/as soon as possible! These are still good a few days later, but not as good once they've cooled. If you have leftovers, store in an airtight container. I'm thinking my next batch might need a few fun add-ins (rosemary, chives, bacon, cheese), but I have no complaints with this basic recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment