Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Now You See Me

"The closer you think you are, the less you'll actually see," is a good way to sum up both the full length movie Now You See Me and its trailer, below. After watching either one, you'll know exactly what happens without really knowing much of anything at all. This isn't a critique--I kind of like my movies that way.

Assuming you have a strong suspension of disbelief, you'll enjoy Now You See Me. It's Ocean's 11 meets The Prestige in the 21st century, both for the subject matter (bank robbing/Vegas + magic/illusion) and the cast (a slew of young and/or popular celebrities + Michael Caine). Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher, and Dave Franco make up the Four Horsemen, a group of touring illusionists. They are funded by Michael Caine, debunked by Morgan Freeman, and (after a felonious trick) pursued by Marc Ruffalo.

Props to the actors and screenwriters for pulling me in and making me care about the story. There are unanswered questions at the end, but I was entertained for the duration of the movie. If that means I fell for the director's sleight of hand, so be it. I enjoy tricks and illusions exactly for the fact that I can't figure them out--plus rumor has it there's a sequel coming, so perhaps a few questions will get answered then.

No comments:

Post a Comment