Saturday, November 1, 2014

Against Football

Against Football: One Fan's Reluctant ManifestoAgainst Football: One Fan's Reluctant Manifesto by Steve Almond
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First thoughts: This was tough to read mid-football season, especially in light of all the recent domestic abuse cases and more evidence of football's long-lasting effects on brain health. To be honest, this book told me a lot of things I already knew...it just brought these things to the front of my mind.

While I've watched football this year (and will watch it again), I haven't gone out of my way to see games. I've planned other events for Sunday afternoons, opting to not be home (where I usually default to watching whatever game is on).

Recommended for: football fans, sports fans in general.

Favorite quotes:

"As a population, we generally agree to regard that which is popular as worthy and that which is convenient as necessary." (this applies not only to football)

"You take a stand because it's the right thing to do, not because it's effective." (Almond's reasoning for why he's done with football, even if he knows his one-person boycott doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things...and again, this applies to more than just football.)

Final thoughts: I think people should read this.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment