Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Ten-Year Nap

The Ten-Year NapThe Ten-Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First thoughts: The pacing takes some getting used to. Having long chapters punctuated by shorter vignettes confused me until I got the rhythm of it. Finishing felt like waking up from a long nap.

Where I read: in bed and on my couch.

Recommended for: readers who enjoy a slow burn, parents, women, people who feel like they've put their lives on hold after having children.

I resonated with most all of the 40-something women/mothers:
Amy-in her head a lot and some of her jokes fail because of that...other people don't always follow her inner monologue/trail of thought.
Jill-really good at school, likes constant feedback, finds it hard to translate that into the real world.
Roberta-has great connections to her world, but isn't sure that she's found her passion yet.

Favorite quote (because it describes this book so well): "Like most people, he'd somehow recently lost his patience for the slow unraveling that took place in novels, the need for the reader to wait in order to find out what happened in the end." (Amy, p 232)

Final thoughts: reaffirmed my appreciation for Meg Wolitzer and the in-depth character study.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment