Thursday, August 21, 2014

The LEGO Movie

For having such a non-descriptive title, The LEGO Movie surprised me with its attention to fun details and simple (yet well-developed) plot. I was a fan from the start--the cast list itself is enough to get me excited--and this movie about building blocks kept me entertained the whole way through.

Emmet (Chris Pratt) is just a basic dude going about his basic life when he falls (literally) into an adventure. While he's used to following all instructions, both written and unwritten, this adventure requires him to go off the grid with Wildstyle (Elizabeth Banks), who is all too ready for the challenge of stopping Lord Business (Will Ferrell) in his plans to end the world. (Side note: I thought this movie would have been just fine had Wildstyle ended up being the "hero" instead of "the girl." She was written as a capable and intelligent character, so I was a little disheartened when she lost confidence in herself early on. That's my only critique.)

Joined by Batman (Will Arnett) and a team of "Master Builders," Emmet and Wildstyle navigate the LEGO universe, trying to return the Piece of Resistance to the Kragle, as the wizard Vitruvious (Morgan Freeman) prophesied "The Special" would do. If that sounds like a crazy story made up by a child, you're not far off, but no spoilers here!

No comments:

Post a Comment