Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Love & Taxes

“Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." –Herman Wouk


I’m not certain about much,
but what I can be sure about
is how taxes aren’t so bad
when you do them with someone
you love.


It’s things like taxes
and washing dishes
and sharing headlines
over coffee before work--
the mundane repetitions of life
--that carry you from
each adrenaline-fueled peak
(first kiss, meeting the family,
“I love you,”...)
to the next.


If I spend the rest
of my life doing taxes
with the same person
--with, as in next to,
or with, as in filing jointly--
I’ll be okay with the
monotony, the frustration,
and the reminder of my
lackluster tax bracket status.
Whether the IRS takes my
money or gives it back,
I’ll still have my date night.

No comments:

Post a Comment